Table of Contents
Online proctoring is an essential aspect of conducting any exam to ensure that the candidates appearing in the exam are not using any form of cheating or unfair means during the exam. Traditional exams have in-person proctors in the examination hall to keep a check on the candidates.
However, proctoring is a huge challenge in online exams. Today, technological breakthroughs have enabled online proctoring to be as effective as traditional offline exam proctoring. Through innovation, we can assure that online proctoring is more effective.
As the name suggests, online proctoring is the ability to continuously monitor the candidates during an online examination to confirm a cheat-free examination and make sure that the integrity and sanctity of exams can not be questioned.
Online proctoring service brings together Artificial Intelligence, real time Video/Audio streaming of candidates and proctor controls over exam of candidate to achieve the objective of cheat-free exams. For more details on how the technology works, refer to our earlier blog How Do Online Proctored Exams Work?.
Online Proctoring Services
Online proctoring services constitute of the following components –
The foremost thing to check is that the right candidate is appearing for the exam and not some proxy. This can be achieved by AI based facial recognition and OCR to automatically authenticate the candidate before the exam starts.
While the exam is in progress, the system keeps a check on any unwarranted activity by the candidates. While the remote proctor can monitor the candidates through live video and audio streaming, AI based facial recognition and facial detection and other checks continuously scan and throw alerts or warnings whenever any anomaly is detected. This ensures that even if any instance is missed by the proctors, the same is captured and logged by the AI engine.
A comprehensive report and analytics can provide the necessary evidence to prove instances of cheating or use of unfair means if questioned. Analytics can also be used to automatically mark out those candidates who had a high number of alerts generated and video & audio playback can be used to verify these occurrences.
Benefits of Online Proctoring
Online Proctoring provides several benefits over traditional offline proctoring –
- Evidential: All instances of cheating or attempts therein are recorded and logged with the timestamp and can be presented as evidence anytime.
- Scalable: The number of candidates appearing for the exam is not limited by physical space and distance. The scale can be increased automatically with minimal manual intervention.
- Zero Gap Monitoring: The AI engine and real time video streams guarantees that the entire exam duration is monitored and nothing is missed out even for the minutest time interval.
- Convenient: Online Proctoring can be done from any location and at any time. Increases convenience for proctors.
- Cost effective: Online proctoring enabled exams can be conducted at a fraction of the total cost borne by the institutions when compared to traditional offline exams.
- Efficient: There is tremendous time saving in the entire process of examination from registration to result declaration. Moreover, administrators can get rid of all the logistical headaches of printing, transportation and manual data entry.
Who Needs Online Proctoring
Basically, any institution conducting examinations can use Online Proctoring based exams. Technology today can ensure better results in the entire examination conducting process. Some of the most likely candidates for Online Proctored exams are –
- Certification agencies
Features of online proctoring
- Candidate authentication
- Auto Proctoring
- Video Surveillance
- Candidate Monitoring
- Liveness Detection
- Fake Feed Detection
- Facial Recognition
- Facial Detection
- Audio Analytics
- Browsing restrictions
Type of online proctored exams
Tests for promotion of employees
Audio visual tests
How are online exams proctored?
Online test proctor is authentic and validates the identity of the candidate and integrity of the online exam.Online proctoring facilitates the process of online examination in three ways:
Before the exam
- Auto authorisation
- Facial detection
- Audio analytics
During the exam
- Liveness detection
- Fake feed detection
- Live audio and video streaming
- Second camera video feed – 360 view
- Super proctor
- Live chat
- Desktop sharing
- Automated warnings
After the exam
- Video recording
- Customizable reports
How does online proctoring work?
Acknowledging the importance of online proctoring, it’s time to understand how do online proctored exams work.
But the question is how are online exams proctored?
Steps followed by the online test proctor includes:
- Online proctoring software needs to be installed in the system of both the examiner and the test taker.
- The application takes access to the computer and camera of the candidate in an online proctored exam.
- The identity of the candidate is confirmed through facial recognition.
- Audio analytics of the software matches the voice of the candidate with the previous audio samples submitted by the candidate.
- Online proctoring software restricts the use of other websites on a candidate’s computer/device.
- During an online proctored exam, the activities of the candidate are monitored throughout.
- The software alarms, pause or stop the exam in case any sign of cheating is observed.
- The whole exam session is recorded to review it later.
How to choose an online proctoring tool?
Online proctoring is a vital tool for online exams.
A best online proctoring tool should be able to put a stop to all the possible practices that a candidate may follow to cheat during an online exam.
Methods/ways followed by the candidates to cheat in an online exam:
- Screen sharing
- Taking help from friends and family
- Coding softwares
- Use of smartphones
- USB/hard drives
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Internet excuses
Choosing an online proctoring tool completely depends on how much the above mentioned points are being covered and taken care of.
To keep a check on all the activities of the candidates, online proctoring tool should have:
- Desktop sharing that accesses the candidate’s screen. It prevents the candidates from using their system to cheat during online exams.
- Second camera video feed (360 view) to detect any device or family/friend that might help a candidate during the exam.
- Live video to monitor the activities live during the exam.
- System generated warning to alert/alarm in case of any suspicious activity.
- Liveness detection to confirm that the candidate is a live person.
- Video recording to review the candidate’s behaviour.
- Detailed proctoring report to check the IP address of the system from which the exam was attempted, geo-location of the candidate, playback of the video of the candidate, and detailed proctoring log.
To see how an online proctoring looks like Book a Demo.
Online proctoring ensures a cheating free online exam. Perfect for all types of exams, it is a solution that maintains the integrity and security of the online exams. It allows you to flag any suspicious activity during the exam. Enabling you to conduct an online exam successfully and effectively.
Stats and Facts about Online Proctoring
- Growth of Online Education: The online education market is projected to reach $350 billion by 2025. This growth fuels the need for secure assessment methods like online proctoring.
- Advantages of Online Proctoring: Highlight statistics demonstrating the effectiveness of online proctoring, such as a reduction in cheating instances by 90% compared to unmonitored exams.
- Types of Online Proctoring: Enumerate statistics about the different types of online proctoring methods – automated, recorded, live proctoring – and their adoption rates across educational institutions and industries..
- Accessibility and Inclusivity: Discuss how online proctoring aids in making exams more accessible to a wider range of students, accommodating various learning styles and needs.